The Inventory Intangible Cultural Heritage (ICH) in the Netherlands contains ICH of which the communities, groups or individuals involved have written a safeguarding plan. Those plans are reviewed by an independent review committee. Every two years an evaluation of the safeguarding takes place.

Description

On June 24th, the birthday of John the Baptist (Saint John) is celebrated in Leenderstrijp. The inhabitants of this small village then gather at the Saint John’s Chapel for an Eucharist celebration in the open air. During the celebration Saint John’s bunches are blessed. The Saint John’s celebration is graced with guild-honour by the organising St. Jan Baptista Gilde Leenderstrijp (Saint John the Baptist Guild Leenderstrijp). Prior to the celebration, the guild calls the population of Leenderstrijp to join the guild to the chapel. At the local primary school, the children join in. A Saint John’s bunch is a bouquet that mainly consists of wild flowers. In Leenderstrijp the bunch comprises the following flowers, among other things: St. John’s wort, nut leaf, cornflower, forget-me-not, wild violet, Spanish grass and lime leaf. People often add a white rose, a red rose and a carnation from the garden. The Saint John’s bunch is made by the inhabitants themselves and people take the blessed bunches home again to hang them at the doorposts. Herewith the inhabitants ask for protection against severe weather, lightning strikes and evil spirits and for health for the ones who seek refuge in this bunch.

 

Community

The Saint John’s celebration is of great significance for the inhabitants of Leenderstrijp. Practically everyone who lives or lived there, participates. The Saint John the Baptist Guild has been involved in the celebration for a long time already. The parish also values the celebration and takes care of an officiant. At the primary school, guest lessons are given on the subject of the Saint John’s celebration in Leenderstrijp and the children go out searching for flowers with the members of the guild.

 

History

The exact age of the celebration of Saint John in Leenderstrijp, is unknown. The Saint John’s Chapel is referred to in documents of 1440. In the founding act of the Saint John the Baptist Guild Leenderstrijp from 1645 the chapel was mentioned too and there was also a reference to a procession. The Saint John’s celebration with the blessing of the Saint John’s bunches, in its original form, dates back to 1962. Over the years the celebration has been moved to the forecourt of the chapel and an altar has been built with a roof and seats for visitors. Special mass books were introduced and the celebration is graced by a choir each year.

 

Contact

Gilde St. Jan Baptista Leenderstrijp
Strijperstraat 73
5595GB Leende
Website